Umbwe route is the hardest but most spectacular and direct way to reach Uhuru Peak. Extra days can be added to our itinerary to explore or relax along the route or to camp in the Karanga River valley. Accommodation on the mountain is in tents; you will need a sleeping bag and mat. The porters will pitch the tents for you.
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro Umbwe route is among the hardest but most spectacular and direct way to reach Uhuru Peak. It follows a forested ridge to the moorlands, and then traverses below the Southern Ice-fields to reach the Barafu Route which is followed to the summit. An early start is made on the summit day to reach Stella Point, on the Crater Rim at dawn. Uhuru Peak lies a further 40 minutes along the rim.
Hiking time: 4 to 6 hours
Distance: Approximately 8.5 km
After an early and well-deserved breakfast, it is a short 4 to 6 hour and scenic hike back to the Park gate. Some hikers do experience knee problems which could make the descend longer than planned.
It is strongly recommended not to pay your porters any tips until you and all your gear have reached the gate safely.
At Mweka gate you sign your name and details in a register. This is also where successful climbers receive their summit certificates. Those climbers who reached Stella Point (5739m) are issued with green certificates and those who reached Uhuru Peak (5895m) receive gold certificates.
From the Mweka Gate you will continue down into the Mweka village, normally a muddy 3 km (1 hour) hike. After sign out to the park gate you will be transferred to a hotel in Moshi for hot shower probably dinner and overnight or otherwise in the evening you will be transferred to Kilimanjaro International Airport to connect with your flight back home.
- 2 transfers from Moshi to Umbwe gate – return.
- 3 meals per day while trekking – vegetarian/non-vegetarian.
- 7 days Kilimanjaro climb – Umbwe route.
- 6 nights accommodation in tents while trekking.
- 2 nights hotel accommodation bed & breakfast in Moshi before and after the climb.
- All park entrance fees, and government levies.
- English speaking mountain guide and assistant.
- Porters – Minimum of 3 per client.
- First Aid Kit including Oxygen Kit.
- Camping Equipments including sleeping tents, sleeping mats, dining tent, chairs and table.